Thursday, July 28, 2011

Things that make me sob uncontrollably

OK, so I was having a discussion with a friend about Kermit the Frog and I had a sudden urge to listen to A Frog and His Boy.



And as I was drying my eyes I started thinking about other things I have this reaction to. I mean, yeah I cry at lots of things. I could put Schindler's List or Saving Private Ryan on this list (there's a whole category opposite this of things that make me cry but that I hate having that reaction to, like stupid chick flicks), but I was thinking of things I repeatedly expose myself to willingly, knowing it will make be cry but just not caring.

The list isn't as long as I'd expect but then I'm probably forgetting things.

1) The aforementioned A Frog and His Boy

2) Jurassic Bark ie: The episode of Futurama about Fry's dog



3) Luck of the Fryrish ie: The episode of Futurama about Fry's brother



4) Fried Green Tomatoes, the only confirmed 'chick flick' in my movie collection actually.



That isn't actually a scene that makes me cry (except maybe for the poor little red bug) but it's what popped up in my youtube search and it's awesome.

5) Amelie



This one actually feels like kind of a cheat because it never provokes sad tears, just joyous ones. But I wanted to round out the list so that it wasn't half Futurama episodes

6) Just remembered this one, the final episode of Blackadder book IV: Goodbyeee



This one just isn't fair. SPOILER ALERT! (if you're worried about spoilers for a show that's 20 years old...) The thing is at the end of every book the entire cast dies. And it's funny. It's always funny. But not this time. This time all of Blackadder's scheming has been to just get away from the war and keep himself alive. When they go over the top and the smoke fades away to a poppy field I defy you not to sob.

One more sort of entry, it did not make the official list but I think an honorable mention should go out to this specific scene from Ratatouille.



The clip is 4 minutes long but the relevant bit is in the first 57 seconds. It doesn't make the cut because it only makes me teary, not cry and also if I start counting the weepy moments from Pixar movies we'll be here all day.

No comments:

Post a Comment